Hi Judith,

The analysis in the paper focused on profiling taxonomic ranks. This was done with Megablast versus the GenBank databases NT & WGS. The accession identifiers being associated with nucleotide data, not protein (as would result from a comparison against NR), is most likely the problem. As I understand it, the Megan functional classification tools will want a protein identifier as input, but please confirm with the tool authors if the expected inputs are still not clear.

BLAST+ tools are in the Main Galaxy Tool Shed and can be used with a local or cloud instance.
http://getgalaxy.org
http://toolshed.g2.bx.psu.edu

Hopefully you have determined all of this by now, but just in case I wanted to send a reply to clarify,

Take care,
Jen
Galaxy team