Hi,

I guess it is because you are printing to a raw device (/dev/lp0) which has
no buffering. Two paths for you to follow:

Install (and probably modify) a printer driver such as 'generic' through
CUPS. This will introduce a buffer to the printing process.

or

Use a (very) un-subtle workaround: trap the error. Loop on a 0.5 sec (or
whatever) delay and try again. I call it the Stalinist approach. Its a bit
like getting people to continually vote on a constitution until they get the
right answer.

rgds