On Tuesday 25 August 2009, Jean-Yves F. Barbier wrote:
> Ron_1st a écrit :
> > The pwc driver returns a v4l2 installation.
> > The gb.v4l component can't handle v4l2 complet/correct but only v4l1 ATM
>
> normally no: ie: camstream uses the v4L1 compatibility mode that I compiled
> into my kernel (but may be the program spcifically "ask" for that mode, which
> could explain why it don't work with MyWebCam)

I see with KMplayer (koos de vries) the philips web cam as v4l2 device
interface.
I hoop this explains more clear. (see note at the end)

> > I have the same problem with the philips cams, i.e. PCVC645, and flash
> > (adobe)
> > and i'm using flashcam package http://flashcam.sourceforge.net
> > A project to make Adobe Flash for Linux support V4L2 webcams or video
> > devices.
>
> I avoid using adobe products in general (not free, super-bloatted, unexistant
> security (a very small worm is enough to activate it and spy you through
> flash webcam/mike facility); and you don't know what is transmitted to
> adobe),
> and flash in particular, as it don't have *any* interest in it.
> (the only thing it does very well is making my old CPU jump straight to 100%
> each time I'm obliged to use it.)

In my case the page use flash for connection and audio/video
streaming and flash could not find the v4l2 device.
Avoiding is no option in this case.You may say go not to that site.
How when it is intra-web site of my employer?

> > It's using a modified vloopback from the motion project.
> > This is in use for webcam on the intraweb site.
>
> I successfuly installed Ekiga in many places: it is fully m$n compatible,
> can uses many sound codecs, and the H264 video mode has really an amazing
> quality (on a LAN, and if you have a good WC, you're close to DVD quality:)
> Try it, you'll love it.

I avoid such applications as mush as possible. I need a computer for work
not for ammusement, then I go to the cafe/bioscoop/theater etc :)

> > Ron_1st
>
> JY_666th

Anyway some driver/modules of video devices give the v4l1 and/or v4l2
interface, the philips cam in my case only v4l2. I do have a microscoop
(microdia) and that on is also v4l2 only.
My TV-Card (terratec) using the bt8x8 driver returns both interfaces.
Another cam just only v4l1 as interface, and bad quality picture too.

Some applications have the same problem for using v4l1 and/or v4l2.
What to do if applicaton support only v4l1 and the cam the other one?

1) The vloopback is for programs using the v4l1, and _not_ v4l2 for
   using the v4l1 API to talk to a v4l2 API.

2) Flash support only v4l1 and with _specific settings_.

In my case flashcam does 1 and 2 together. Good solution for me.

Note:

The gb.v4l component was written by Daniel C. for his v4l1 cam.
Gareth did however had a v4l2 cam and he rewrote a part of the component and
released a test application that uses his modified driver.
So ATM I would say the gb.component is more or less broken/incomplete.
If your cam is v4l1 only then you should use the D.C. version.
If your cam is v4l2 only then you should use the Gareth version.
This is what happend in the background of the component and the v4l2
is only for the cam of Gareth implemented, i.e. the colorspace.
Both are written for specific WC with very restricted capabilities.

My active involvement ATM is only for the modified code of Gareth,
specific the compile time error/abort, about undefinied variable
names/values for some videodev.h versions.

I solved my other wishes/problems with hardware solution instead
of software.

Best regards,

Ron_1st