Alex,

Setting the mode to Multiple does allow that...

if for example you have 6 items on your listbox
if you execute these 2 lines the 1st & the 4th item
will be selected

listbox1[0].Selected = TRUE
listbox1[3].Selected = TRUE

(in Gambas 2.14 on my Debian Lenny it works as described)

If the user wants to change the selection, in order for them
not to lose the previous selection, they have to press CTRL
before they click on a new item or deselect one of the already
selected.

Now to check which items are selected on your listbox... Unless
I'm also missing some other easier way... I would suggest a function like
this

PUBLIC FUNCTION multipleSelections(targetLB AS ListBox) AS String
  DIM targetCount AS Integer
  DIM foundSelected AS Integer
  DIM Res AS String

  targetCount = 0
  foundSelected = 0
  DO WHILE targetCount < targetLB.Count
   IF targetLB[targetCount].selected = TRUE THEN
    Res &= targetLB[targetCount].Text & "|"
    INC foundSelected
   ENDIF
  INC targetCount
  LOOP

IF foundSelected = 0 THEN
    RETURN "Nothing found"
  ELSE
    RETURN Left(Res, Len(Res) - 1)
ENDIF

END

You could use it like this:

Print multipleSelections(listbox1)

and as a result you would get this

Item 1|Item 4

(that's the text of the selected items)

if you want their indices you could modify it so you could
get the selected item indices in the same way

I hope this helps

Regards,
Dimitris