Bill-Lancaster ha scritto:
> Dear Doriano
> That's OK I don't feel "flamed".
> I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 with Gnome 2.26.1
> I can view and access my windows network folders easily from the desktop.
> I can put an icon on the desktop which will open a specific network folder
> (is that "mounted"?)
> I researched all the stuff in Nabble and tried many ways in Gambas all
> without success.
> Only after all that did I decide to pose the question.
>
> Anyway thanks for your advice - I've got quite a bit to get on with now as
> well as a number of other replies.

Unfortunately I don't know Gnome enough to say something. But, yes, when
you see the contents of a remote windows folder, that folder is mounted.
"mounted" only means that a file in *your* system refers to a directory
or file system elsewhere (or the same machine).

Take the windows way to mount an USB memory stick (pendrive). You have
drive letters C: and D:. When you plug your pendrive, magically a new
drive labeled E: appears. Windows says "a new drive has been added, and
labeled E:". A Linux users would say "the drive E has been mounted".
The windows way is in some way limited, because it can only choose from
26 letters, and your devices are always at the top level of the file
system. Linux goes ahead: your device (or remote shared folder) can be
reached using a filename (vs a single letter), and this filename can be
everywhere in your file system. So, a stick could be mounted as
/mnt/stick, where stick is the name of an existent directory inside
another existent directory /mnt. /mnt/stick is normally empty, and when
you plug your USB stick, that directory populates. That directory is the
mount-path, like "E:" is the mount-path in windows. But in linux then
mount-path always exist, probably is empty if no devices are mounted; in
windows E: does not exist if no devices are plugged.

I must go - will continue on next mail.

--
Doriano Blengino

"Listen twice before you speak.
This is why we have two ears, but only one mouth."