Hi,

I'm currently thinking about modifying/removing all IsXXXX() functions in
Gambas 3.

They mainly test the datatype of their expression. So, either the datatype is
known at compile time, and there should be no need of testing it ; either you
are using a Variant, and you can use TypeOf() to get the datatype of the
value.

I will replace them by some functions that will test if a value can be
converted safely from a string by using localization. This is what most users
expected from these functions.

For exemple, in french localization:

        IsDate("13/2/20") -> True
        IsNumber("3,34") -> True
        IsInteger("3,34") -> False
        IsNumber("3.34") -> False

Internally, they will use Val() and see if the conversion works.

I will kept most of the name, so there will be a big incompatibility between
Gambas 2, current Gambas 3, and final Gambas 3.

What do you think about that?

Who is using the IsXXXX() functions, and in which context?

--
Benoît Minisini