Thanks Benoit,

I will download the last revision. But believe me, in some situations I get
the message NULL OBJECT in line...   My fault in the definition.
Please do not misunderstand me, I am NOT complaining about Gambas, this is
rather a cry for help. In this case I was able to solve the prroblems, still
I get errors in this case:

*Works:*
Public $ConU As New Connection
Public ConBack As String

Public Procedure ConnectUser()
    $ConU.Close()              ' Close the connection
    $ConU.Type = "MySQL"       ' Type of connection
    $ConU.Host = "127.0.0.1"   ' Name of the server
    $ConU.Login = "root"       ' User's name for the connection
    $ConU.Port = "3306"        ' Port to use in the connection, usually 3306
    $ConU.Name = "benutzer"      ' Name of the data base we want to use
    $ConU.Password = "" ' User's password

     Try $ConU.Open()               ' Open the connection
     If Error Then
        ConBack = "N"
     Else
        ConBack = "J"
     Endif
End

*Does not Work:*
Public Function ConnectUser()  as string
    $ConU.Close()              ' Close the connection
    $ConU.Type = "MySQL"       ' Type of connection
    $ConU.Host = "127.0.0.1"   ' Name of the server
    $ConU.Login = "root"       ' User's name for the connection
    $ConU.Port = "3306"        ' Port to use in the connection, usually 3306
    $ConU.Name = "benutzer"      ' Name of the data base we want to use
    $ConU.Password = "" ' User's password

     Try $ConU.Open()               ' Open the connection
     If Error Then
        Return "N"
     Else
        Return = "J"
     Endif
End

Errors in completly different procedures afterwards, not in this one.

But do not bother too much with this, I am just wondering what happens here.
I am happy with the working part.

Thanks and regards,
Dag-Jarle