What I want is for all stdout & stderr output to go to one file.

I've previously tried not redirecting the output to a file but instead
processing the variable on completion of the Shell/Exec command. The
disadvantage of this is that if the program get_iplayer hangs/crashes
then I can't examine the file: I want to be able to run this without
debug mode being on and so I cannot look at the variable sOutput if it
crashes. Thus I want to use a file for stdout & stderr and I expect
sOutput to be empty (in the Test project, I have temporary code which
shows that sOutput is empty no matter what happens in get_iplayer's
execution).

I'm forced to use the 'To' clause in Shell/Exec because of its syntax: I
have previously studied the documentation webpages to which you refer.

In the case when get_iplayer has gone to normal end in its execution,
the file has been created and is OK. However, I still get the blank
window during get_iplayer's execution: the window returns to normal when
get_iplayer finishes.