On Sat, 2012-06-02 at 14:03 +0200, Jesus wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Well, a friend of mine is running into problems to have the Gambas3
> runtime installed on a VPS server running Centos6.
>
> It seems to be a kind of mismatch with libc6 versions, so if someone
> have a clue about what's going on here, he will be grateful.
>
> This is a grep for libc related packages currently on that system:
A grep of what?

> glibc-devel-2.5-81.el5_8.2
> compat-glibc-headers-2.3.4-2.26
> libcap-devel-1.10-26
> compat-libcom_err-1.0-7
> glibc-2.5-81.el5_8.2
> libcap-1.10-26
> glibc-2.5-81.el5_8.2
> glibc-devel-2.5-81.el5_8.2
> compat-glibc-2.3.4-2.26
> libcroco-0.6.1-2.1
> glibc-headers-2.5-81.el5_8.2
> libc-client-2004g-2.2.1
> libcroco-devel-0.6.1-2.1
> glibc-common-2.5-81.el5_8.2
>
> Now, when trying to install the rpm package:
which rpm package? where did it come from?  Fedora what/ which repo?

> rpm -i server/gambas3-runtime.rpm
> error: Failed dependencies:
>          libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.14)(64bit) is needed by
> gambas3-runtime-3.1.1-2.fc18.x86_64

fc18???  I thought fc17 was the latest stable release.  This looks a
little bit experimental.

> Yes, it seems he's using the Fedora rpm package, but this might not be a
> problem.
>
> Is there any chance to get this solved, or perhaps trying to compile
> from sources is the best bet?
>
> Best regards

locate is better than trying to grep "who-knows-what"

        locate lib/libc

on mine shows that there is a /lib/libc.so.6
and

        file /lib/libc.so.6

shows that it is a symbolic link to 'libc-2.12.so' i.e. the actual
library in /lib

Using foreign binaries is a game of Russian roulette, the only chances
you have are "pure dumb luck" or a great deal of checking every little
detail before pulling that trigger.

Good luck!

Bruce