I hate mysteries. I hate it when I get a program installation to work
without knowing why it was so stubbornly refusing to install properly
for so long.

After a wild-goose chase trying to figure out why I was getting
pkg-config warnings (but only for the installed gsl libraries) and
discovering that there was a need for a missing gnome-keyring devel
package I was still getting the same error when trying to execute
gambas3 in a console.

I discovered by accident that all the gmbas3 libraries had been
installed in /usr/lib !!! Now there was a surprise. Gambas cannot
compile without reference to the libraries in /usr/lib64 so why put
its own stuff in /usr/lib?

I just copied it all over to the right place and, lo and behold,
everything works now.