Will this be done in a direct P2P fashion or using a master hub?

If you are doing this in a direct peer to peer then your players will need
to handle locating their friend's machine on the net perhaps via the IP
address and may need to set up their machine at home to allow your chosen
protocol be passed through to their machine. If you use http then the
protocol will not be an issue. UDP may on some routers.

There are a few books on network game programming. These may help you out
some. There are also some good online tutorials to get you started:

http://gafferongames.com/networking-for-game-programmers/

Checkout GameDev and Gamasutra sites as well.

This page has a list of game dev sites (on the right hand side) that mat be
helpful: http://www.codebox.8m.com/gameprog.htm

There are many many ways to inplement this. Start simple if you have no
networking experience. Read and review the GB network components. The
networking issues will be the same no matter what language so read what you
find on python and c/c++ and apply that knowledge to gb.

Hope this helps.

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Willy Raets <wi...@earthshipbelgium.be>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm thinking about an application (game) that can act as both client and
> server and thus one persons application can connect over TCP/IP with
> another persons application.
>
> The initiating application will go in some server modus, the other in
> some client modus.
>
> If person on Server side does stuff in the games this needs to be fed to
> the application on Client side somehow and game there is updated
> accordingly. On the other hand if the person on the client side does
> something this needs to be fed to the server and both games need to be
> updated.
>
> So on the client side all needs to be accepted from the server side as
> that is where the actual game is run.
>
> Idea is one application that can act both as server and as client.
> So people having the same game can play a network game.
> I was thinking of starting off turn based game to make it a little
> easier to start with.
>
> I have no idea where to start although I looked around on Google a lot.
>
> Any suggestions that might get me going...?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Willy

If you ask me if it can be done. The answer is YES, it can always be done.
The correct questions however are... What will it cost, and how long will
it take?