On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 8:09 AM, Tobias Boege <tabo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2012, Sebastian Kulesz wrote:
>> Okey, i will try to follow this line: What-> Why -> How
>>
>> What?? I will be short; I created a website on google appengine for
>> code reviews [0] It allows you to publish any patch, either of a few
>> lines or a monstrous multi-file spaghetti. But the main feature is
>> that it allows other people to *comment* on single lines of that code,
>> or (re*n)publish that same patch with new changes and comments.
>>
>> The reason for this is evident if you have been following the the
>> activity on the mailing list regarding the gb.net.pop3 component (and
>> obviously, a large amount of other threads about bugs, quick fixes,
>> etc). Pasting code on the list is effective(?), but, how can other
>> users provide feedback? There is everything from inline comments to
>> large -------->, which sometimes are overlooked.
>>

> Maybe I'm too young to be conservative, but isn't sending patches and
> discussion just what the gambas-devel mailing list is for? User comments go
> to gambas-user. My mail programs perform well; why bring a second tool in?
> I can't see how it could make things better.
>
>> Regrettably, neither Sourceforge nor ViewVC provide code comments
>> (like launchpad or google code does)
>>

> IMHO, if something must change, I'd prefer git over svn where the situation
> of branch/work/patch/merge is wonderful... which is: way better than svn.
>
>> The how is extremely simple. Go to the website, (login with a google
>> account), click *Create Issue*, write a title and upload the patch.
>> This is as easy as "svn diff > patch".
>> It is integrated to the svn repository, so if you upload a patch of a
>> file (in the correct way), the full diff can be viewed online
>> side-by-side or only the changed lines.  To share an issue
>> (collection/series of diff files) just copy and paste the url in the
>> list. For a  detailed instructions manual, please visit this page [1]
>>

> Will I be able to reasonably use that platform without a browser? I don't
> like to have my (not javascript-able) browser open all the time and websites
> aren't "tools" in the sense that I could work with them efficiently.
> That is just my two cents. To whom it pleases, I'll do the Benoīt and say,
> "Why not?".
>
> If someone has something to say about the code I feel responsible for,
> I would really appreciate them doing it via mail.
>
>> I added 2 really simple examples so you can see how it works.
>> <b>Please feel free to play</b>. Code snippets can also be added, so
>> others can improve them (then they can be added to trunk or the wiki
>> snippets page)
>>
>> * Consider this as an experiment, it can either work or not. i really
>> hope it does, bit it's okey if it doesn't
>>

>> [0] https://gambas-svn.appspot.com/
>>
>> [1] http://code.google.com/p/rietveld/wiki/CodeReviewHelp
>
> Regards,
> Tobi

Indeed *git* is what is needed. Branching/merging capabilities for
gambas is a must, but that implies moving the whole tree to a new VCS,
and it's not too practical, needless to say it can be a really tedious
job.
In the meantime, i thought something like Rietveld would really help
as a collaborative tool.

Here are a few threads that would really benefit from this tool, just
as an example:
http://old.nabble.com/Store-GB_VARIANT-in-memory-td34286343.html
http://old.nabble.com/_compare%28%29-Type-mismatch%3A-wanted-Date%2C-Number-or-String-td34235764.html
http://old.nabble.com/Convert-string-to-integer-with-arbitrary-base-td33177283.html

I'm not saying "Hey, if you want to post code to the mailing list,
then use this." I'm just making it available. In the end, its your
choice to use it or not.

Thanks!