On Tue, 26 Nov 2013, ukimiku wrote:
> Tobias,
>
> congratulations!
>
> I read on the Gambas-Buch page that you are co-author of a book on Gambas
> programming. I tried to locate it at Amazon, but no luck. Where is it
> available? Does it cover Gambas 3?

Good to hear that someone's interested in it!

If you don't mind, I'd like to tell you the story because it contains an
anecdote relevant to the original topic (of Gambas apparently not being a
widely-used language - at least not as widely as I think is just)...

Hans (the other author and my former computer science teacher) once
contacted a publisher about the book when he wanted to start writing it.
(Hans was alone at that time with his plans since I was 16 or so and not
capable of writing a book - not that I really am now, two years later :-))

Anyways, the publisher said it would not sell because there weren't "more
than a dozen" German-speaking Gambas programmers around who would buy
the book... Sounds like the story gets a twist here, right? No, it doesn't
:-)

When school became more relaxed for me towards the A-level, we simply
started to publish the book online, at http://gambas-buch.de. The obvious
benefit of putting the book online is that we can target the latest (stable)
Gambas releases - which is what we do, so yes, it is about Gambas 3(.5.1).

Maybe we will also have a printed version in the future but not until most
chapters are written.

Regards,
Tobi