I think, recently I had the same problem, and I understand the request like
that:
I wanted to display formatted values of a database, without formatting by code.
For example,
123 --> 123,00
1647.5 --> 1.647,50
48.356 --> 48,356000

MaskBox doesn't do anything here, it leaves the data as it is. Obviously,
MaskBox is acting only on user input.
With ValueBox, you only have the choice between 'Number' and 'Currency'. Both
are useless here.
So I ended up with formatting by code.
No problem, but it would be really nice if MaskBox could handle data or if
ValueBox could have more format possibilities.