Le Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:16:28 +0100,
Dominique Michel <dominique.mic...@vtxnet.ch> a écrit :

> Le Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:21:25 +0100,
> Tobias Boege <tabo...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> > On Mon, 10 Feb 2014, Dominique Michel wrote:
> > > When doing the Wave generator, I see that Gambas place the window
> > > of a program by default at the top left corner of the screen,
> > > which override the window manager placement policy. (fvwm with
> > > fvwm-crystal in my case)
> > >
> > > I see it is possible to use Me.Center, or Me.Top, Bottom, Left and
> > > Right, but is it possible to make gambas to let the window manager
> > > place the windows?
> > >
> > > With fvwm, I can add
> > >
> > > Style Gambas* !UsePPosition
> > >
> > > in my style options, but it would be better if I can do the same
> > > directly with Gambas.
> > >
> > > Dominique
> > >

> > I don't think Gambas provides any interface to your wm's settings.
> > But if you can get that information via shell, you can place your
> > window manually...
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tobi
>
> It don't need to. All I want is that Gambas doesn't manage at all the
> window placement, and let the wm do its job. Fvwm doesn't have 3D
> effects and such, but it just do a wonderful job at managing things
> like windows placement or focus policies, and I just want that Gambas
> let fvwm do its job. For that, all that is needed is that Gambas
> doesn't manage the placement at all if I don't want it.
>
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html#idp6374024
>
> Quote:
> Rationale: Window managers can often perform better placement (that
> may be even configurable) for windows than the application. However
> at the time of writing this it is problematic for Window managers to
> decide when to use them because many applications abuse positioning
> flags and/or provide unnecessary default positions.
> EndQuote
>
> As I think many Gambas applications force the windows placement, my
> Gambas* fvwm style will stay for ever in my fvwm configuration. But it
> doesn't work when launching a program with F5 from the IDE. It would
> be great to have an option to disable this placement policy at least
> in the IDE.
With xprop, I get the following when the Wave Generator is launched
from the menu or the console:

WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                program specified location: 0, 0

and the following when it is launched via F5 in the IDE:
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                user specified location: 0, 0
                program specified location: 0, 0

That imply this is gambas and the gambas applications that force the
position. They force the program specified location, and the IDE or
if Settings.Read(Me) is in use in a gambas program, they also force
the user specified location.

And more, by using such a default position, they don't even respect the
FWMH working area, and overlap my desktop menu bar at the top of the
screen. The FWMH working area is what is left of the screen size when
things like pagers or desktop buttons and menus are done reserving
space. Not all desktop buttons and menus reserve space, in
fvwm-crystal, this is done on a per recipe (theme) basis.

A secondary issue with Settings.Read(Me) and the user specified
location is when launching 2 instances of the same application:
they will completely overlap each other.

Anyway, a second fvwm style option solved that issue for me:

Style Gambas* !UseUSPosition
Style Gambas* !UsePPosition

and for fvwm-crystal:
http://sourceforge.net/p/fvwm-crystal/code/600/tree//fvwm/components/styles/Applications?diff=50eecb63e88f3d24b3d97ee6:599