Another thing just popped into mind:

Consider an inheritance chain where at some level a class only defines static
features (but inherits dynamic features from ancestral classes).

If "only static feautures" presumed "non-instantiable class"  then this would
break subsequent inheritance.

regards
Bruce

p.s. I have had a bit of a look around the web and this concept of "static" =
"non-instantiable" seems to be an idea of a certain North American software
company whose products are of limited appeal to the majority of Linux users :-)
 I might have to see if my old Bertram Meyer text book is in the attic as I am
getting more and more sure that "static" means allocated at class level rather
than at instance level and nothing more.
--
B Bruen <bbr...@paddys-hill.net>