Just to be clear, I did not run 'polynom.gambas' as a script with the
she-bang specifying to use 'gbs3' to execute it. That *is* slow.

I executed it using gbs3 with the '-f' option invoking the JustInTime
compiler.

I also just now used the IDE to create a command-line application based
on the benchmark, created an executable, and then ran that. That was
also so slow (almost 2 minutes to Print the first result) that I did not
let the timing test finish.

So, it appears that the JIT compiler option is what makes the huge
difference -- on my system anyway.