http://gambaswiki.org/bugtracker/edit?object=BUG.1078&from=L21haW4-

Comment #2 by Tony MOREHEN:

I've put together a little project and have some new findings.

In the little project, I changed the systray component from a drawing area to a
panel.  Now GTK2 works properly.  In the original project, a similar change
also works.  However, other parts of the original now fail, even though they
worked under QT4.

QT5 still fails with those error messages.
GTK3 also still has issues but I misinterpreted what I saw earlier.  Now it
seems that the GTK icons are positioned realtive to the project's main form and
appropriately have a transparent background.