http://gambaswiki.org/bugtracker/edit?object=BUG.1107&from=L21haW4-

Comment #2 by Tobias BOEGE:

Are you sure that the checkboxes are read-only? For some time I had checkboxes
in the IDE that looked read-only but weren't. They always displayed a check
mark whether they were turned on or off. But apart from that they were working.
Click on some of the checkboxes in the component tab and observe if that
changes the component listing in the project's hidden ".project" file. If it
does, the checkboxes only look read-only and it's probably something like a
theming problem.

(And on a side note, something I wanted to say to you for a long time: Please
reconsider what "high priority" means. I for one have an email filter for high
priority bugtracker mails and it's annoying that every one of your bug reports
is caught by it. Especially here you present a problem and a solution which
consists of the user setting an environment variable. This is not a high
priority bug.)