Hi Che,
I don't yet have a ff stearing wheel, but I am going to be obtaining one
soon for Raceway.However, I think I can still answer your question.

All game devices including joysticks, game pads, wheels have buttons.
Those buttons are checked by checking the byte[] array of values for
them. Fortunately, for the developer if you want to remap the device
instead of providing the specific value for the button you provide it
with an integer variable that holds the value.
Here is an example.

int btnFire = 0;
int btnJump = 1;
int btnHealth = 2;

if(oJoystick.Buttons[btnFire] != 0)
{
FireWeapon();
}
if(oJoystick.Buttons[btnJump] != 0)
{
Jump();
}
if(oJoystick.Buttons[btnHealth] != 0)
{
SpeakHealth();
}

In this example the button 1, which is value 0, was replaced with the
variable btnFire. You can create your own map function that changes the
values for btnFire, btnJump, btnHealth, etc with different values. By
doing so instead of 0 for btnFire that command might be on button 8
which is value 7.