Star Conquest wasn't a RPG, contrary to popular belief. Neither was
GWSE. The URL you pointed out is, in fact, more of a RPG than SC ever
could be. I also suggest looking at http://www.esmud.com for an
example of what I consider to be the standard for roleplay MUDs. Yes,
it's a little heavy on the emotes and things. But there is code in
place to back things up. If my outlaw mage, for instance, decides to
reduce you to a navigational hazard, it's not just assumed to have
happened... the code combat system, significantly modified from your
usual hack n slash system, decides whether the spell fails, or you're
a grease spot. You'd be surprised how much fun it can be, though. I'd
let you in on a few secrets, but that would leave me with nothing to
hold over your head IC. *cackle*