Hi shaun,
A good question about Tank Commander, so I looked at the keystrokes.ini file
to find that David did not include the export map file feature in the game.
  It is part of Shades of Doom, Paccman Talks and Sarah.
In packman Talks the line to look for is,
48=[control]w// make map file
And in Sarah it is
48=[shift]w// make map file
This is from the Sarah instructions:
You can also produce a Braille map of the rooms and corridors you have
explored by hitting Control-W.  The map is written to a file in the Sarah
folder with the name "MAP" plus the area number and the file-type of "DAT".
For example, if you create a map playing in hour one, it will most likely be
named map1.dat
and found in
C\program files\Sarah and the Castle of Witchcraft and Wizardry\map1.dat".
The maps are in a format suitable to be sent to a Braille printer, or can be
read on any braille output device.
The symbols on the map are:
G equals a wall.
X equals your location.
A equals corridor already explored.
Although not as nice as a braille version, the map is just a text file and
can be read in
NotePad. Remember though, the map only shows places where you have already
visited, and so you won't get a complete map unless you have visited the
whole floor. It is still useful though, for finding rooms and corridors you
have missed.

I guess you noticed the error in the keystroke for Sarah that I need to
change, since the instructions say control w while the keystroke is really
shift w.
smiles,
Phil