"It is my understanding that directPlay as we know it is being phased out
with the advent of Windows Vista and directX 10."

I have heard that as well, but so far it still is a part of DirectX 9
latest. My guess is they will still maintain backwards compatibility
even if the begin phasing it out in favor of some other dll. Remember
there is still some backards compatibility with DirectX 7, and
especially 8 so just because the standards change that doesn't mean the
feature is totally gone.
Smile.