Hi Chris,
I've never seen this happen before. Believe that the tank always moves out
of your way or it's simply impossible to do it. I think that it was rather
an object intercepting your way. The tank was firing at you from behind it,
from the other side, so that its own shells fired back at him. LOL!
Is this possible? Think that it would explain this town typical situation a
bit better. Just to inform you. :-)
Best wishes,
Lukas
P.S. If you're still having problems exiting the town, then here goes a hint
or rather a spoiler!
I cannot remember the exact directions, the exact number of turns and so on,
but once you are on the road, it's always best to follow it straight ahead
until you can, then take the last turn before a city wall, and so on. I
think that when you drive along the road, you will first pass one or two
turns, so take the last one. Then there are three or four upcoming turns and
the last one is yours leading to the north gate, but I might be wrong. This
is just a clue, hope it helps. :-)