Hi.

Christopher Bartlett wrote:
Based on the other answers to the questions, it looks to me as though
you are designing the effects/powers in the game before considering
why all this is happening.  As you have asked for suggestions, I
think this will make for an unfocussed game with little satisfaction
End Quote

I think you hit the nail on the head so to speak. A couple of the game
programming books I have read clearly stated before writing one line of
code a developer should write out the back story behind the game, create
history and personalities behind the characters, etc. That makes sense
as in any programming or creative writing courses the instructers always
teach to write out a draft of all your ideas, history, etc long before
working on the final work.
 From what I gather from Ivan's answers thus far he seams to be going
forward with a incomplete vision and just writing the game from what
comes to mind at the time. That is apped to make the game run smack in
to a block wall. As well as look as cheap and unplanned as it may be.