Hi, Che.

>   I disagree with the statement.
>   I think the problem isn't skill or know how, but the lack of effort to
> think outsite the box.

End Quote

That is true there is little inovation in our comunity both in the type
of games  out there as well as inventing new ways to do things.

>   Take for instance the recent discussion about a Mario Brothers clone.
>   I have to ask why?
>   Why spend all that time and effort developing a game that is like so many
> others before it.
End Quote

Che, I think we are looking at two different ends of the same stick. A
blind player who has never played Marrio would probably certainly
welcome a chance to finally play that kind of game as it has never been
accessible to them before. In that sense it is completely new for those
people. For those blind gamers such as myself there were games I truly
enjoyed throughout my sighted years, and now they are unaccessible.
Maybe I'd like something new, but I also want to have those games I
enjoyed as well. Do you see that angle as well?

>   I mean, do we really need another side scroller?

End Quote

No, but that isn't the point. As mentioned above some have never had a
first chance to play. You and I are coming from the angle of been
sighted before hand, and  to us those games are really old. They are old
classics, and time to move on.

>   Why not develop a unique game idea and spend all that effort creating
> something fresh and new that hasn't been seen before in the accessible game
> community?

End Quote

I am certainly all for this, but your question seams to lack the other
side of this debate. Some of the games out there for sighted players
have never been accessible.
That said all games share something in common so making something
totally new is probably not going to happen from to many developers. For
example, many games fall in the idea of sports, first person, arcade,
side-scroller, RPG, etc.
Storyline of course can be changed, many elements can be originals, and
I can grant that. However, no matter what there is only so much you can
do with originality.

>   Why not develop that multi player RPG that folks would love to have, or a
> world creation game that allows people to manage scores of resources to
> develop their empire for example?

End Quote

Sounds interesting, but now we do get in to the time factor. I think
this comes down to a personal choice. Do you want to spend 5 years
working on such an RPG, or do you want to design 4 or 5 other more
easier games over that time?
I think that many ag devs will tell you they will pick the second option
of design 3 or 4 games rather than spending all that time making one
game. Granted that one game would likely be darn good after that time.

>   The skill and know how is the easy part,
End Quote

As a programmer I am apped to agree with you that programming isn't as
bad as it seams. However, people do learn at different levels and you
can't ask a brand new developer to make level editors, engines, etc
right off the bat.
I will grant you have learned your programming rather quickly. In fact,
in all my years of programming you are catching up with me, and in ways
have passed me up. Then, again how hard did you work at it.
We can't simply expect everyone to pick it up as well as or as fast you
and I have.

> the original game concept for the
> blind community that would give us something to play that we've never had
> before, now that is the difficult thing
End Quote

I agree  that we need more originality and down right creativity in our
titles. Also true though there has never been a Marrio game, Montezuma's
Revenge, and about a million other titles for sighted gamers made
accessible to us.
I think the difference simply is some of us yearn to try the games of
yestr year, before we can grow, and want something new.