I think the term you're looking for would be forwards compatible instead of
backward. We know Monty is backwards compatible because of the very fact
that it uses the .net Framework 1.1. However it does not appear to be
forwards compatible since it can't make do with V2.0 or whatever it is that
you have on your machine. My Laptop probably has 2.0, and it makes no sense
to me that the games couldn't use those and still run properly. I'd think it
would be better, personally. But I'm no programmer yet so I couldn't tell
ya. At least the two versions of the .net Framework can coexist on your
machine without screwing each other up, so there's that little, or rather
big, plus. Oh well, small price to pay for what's shaping up to be one heck
of a fun game.

It ain't pretty when the pretty leaves you with no place to go.