Hi, Jeremy.
Actually, only certain enemies/monsters seam to be based on your mr.
some monsters like a tarnrat or thornworm can be easily defeated if your
skills and ratings are up without equipping the weapon after the monster
is created.
If you are facing some of the bosses or major enemies and then equipping
a weapon after he/she was created and then that works best.