Hi Allan,
Well, at the moment no the number of torpedoes in the menus doesn't
reflect the number of torpedoes the ship can fire. Although, now that
you mentioned it would make allot of sence to have it stop when you
reached the maximum number of torpedoes.
Although, I will say right off I didn't mention this in the announcement
firing photon and quantum torpedoes is quite a bit different in the 2.0
branch from the 1.0 version.
You see, on Star Trek the most that can realistically be fired at once
is 30 torpedoes. Some ships like Defiant can only fire 15 in a full
spread at one time.
Well, if we were using the values from v1.0 of STFC it wouldn't get very
far. However, in 2.0 all the photons and quantums pack a huge amount of
fire power. So if you fired say 15 quantums it would totally knock a
standard enemies shields down, but not enough to destroy that ship.
Follow that with a phaser blast and that dude is heavily damaged if not
toast.
 So STFC 2.0 will allow you to fire upwards to 30 torpedoes, and the
values have been calculated for that amount of torpedoes. Firing 30 in
2.0 is like firing 300 in 1.0.
However, you still have 300 torpedoes so you have basically 10 times
the firepower in 2.0 than in 1.0.