From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2006 4:20 PM
To: gamers@audyssey.org
Subject: [Audyssey] Game programming education project.

Hi all,
In the interest of everyone who wants to begin learning how to program
accessible games I will be launching the USA Games game programming
education project. What I plan to do is write an accessible version of
Asteroids complete with saving and restoring games, standard and arcade
style play, sound, music, etc... Once written I will be able to post the
full source code and release versions for download.
The source version will eventually include documentation explaining the
audio class and it's use with Microsoft DirectSound. Another tutorial might
cover working with Visual Studio Express 2005, and another might discuss
saving and restoring games, etc. I don't plan for all of this suddenly to
appear, of course, but if I put some time to it each week those of you out
there will not only have a free game, but one with a full source written in
C#.NET which will give you something to look at and to practice your
programming skills with.
The main reason I have decided to do this is I would like the community at
large to have not only accessible games, but high quality accessible games.
Most new programmers don't know how to do that. For instance, most
programming books won't tell you how to save and restore a game, and you
have to compile the information from two or more sources, and understand
serializing an object. With a sample right in front of you it becomes pretty
clear how it is done without all the explanations how it works just that it
does work. Which is what we all want.
Not only that there is always some trig equations needed to calculate the
distance between objects, directions, and updating there location.
Well, naturally I will be including them, and I will keep things at the
Algebra/Trig level and won't put to much on you newbies by making everything
3D with vectors, and all that.
Anyway, if you guys think this will help the community add new programmers
to the rank, and help you guys learn I will be happy to donate time in the
future to this end ever.
Smile.