That is why you shouldn't plan release dates and tell the public.  It's just a
lot of trouble for the dev when you don't have anything to release on time.
I'm not a programmer myself, but I have listened and I know that much.  If I
ever do write a game, I will not guarantee anything until I am 100% certain I
can keep my promises.