Hi Don,
GMA's Engine is pretty nice for amature developers, but it does have a
pretty big price tag attached to it.
I'd only go for the engine if you were seriously considering commercial
development. Otherwise it is much cheaper to learn a language such as
C#.NET, download Visual C# Express for free, DirectX SDK, and start
writing games.
Smile.