Before buying one, make sure that you can correctly identify the computer's moves by word of mouth from others or by listening to the chess computer. Try before you buy. Although I can determine the computer's move through sounds, I could also use a light probe to find the lit LED in the corner of the activated square. The computer that use most often is the Novag Citreen, (I'm sure that I am misspelling that, though). You can find it at

www.classicchessandgames.com For modification, I bought the strip magnet rolls at Wal-Mart for a couple of bucks.

--
If guns kill people, writing implements cause grammatical and spelling errors! ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2013 1:08 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] need help with chess

Hi Charles,

Neato. I hadn't thought of trying that. I always wondered if one of
those computerized Chess sets could be made accessible. Now I know a
way to do it. Thanks for the tips.

Another option, farther down the road, is to get a chess computer that can
be used, after any modification necessary, by blind people.  By beeps of
different tones, you can tell where the machine moved its pieces. You have

to mark the black pieces for identification. I cut rubber magnet material from a roll that match the squares and matching magnets and stuck them onto

the bottoms of the chessmen so they stick to the squares.  Now, I can
examine the board layout while planning moves without knocking the men off
the board.  Chess computers are good when traveling or when there isn't a
human opponent when you're in the mood for a game. You can set the skill to

just a bit stronger than you, so you can gradually improve. I have now run

into a problem, though.  I bought a chess computer for home use that is
rated at around 2400, which will give Grand Masters a challenge. It beats
me on it's lowest level.  Frustrating as all heck, but fun!