Hmm tom I have winzip 11 here and it can extract rar fine, not create I think.
I think rar support was as far back as winzip 8, well definately 8 could have
been in 7 or 6, maybe not 6 but sertainly 7 and up.
Izarc  is another program I use for extraction and conversion.
And if all else fails there is unrar, a free dos program that can do rar files.