Hi Bryan,

Well, its possible, but of course its not just Microsoft. The entire
computer industry is changing and games like the BSC Games are not
being updated to meet those changes, nor will they ever be.

For example, the 64-bit processors have been on the market for roughly
five years or so and many software companies besides Microsoft are
going 64-bit. Mac OS is 64-bit, Linux is 64-bit, and of course Windows
7 and Windows 8 are 64-bit as well as many applications for those
platforms. While it is possible to still run older VB 6 programs like
the BSC Games on a 64-bit PC its just a case in point of something
that isn't going to be supported directly.

Then, there is the issue that everyone seems to be migrating from the
traditional desktop and laptop computer to handheld devices like
tablets and smart phones. There are a number of tablets running
Google's Android OS, Apple's iPad running iOS, and Microsoft has some
new touchscreen tablets and Windows Phones with Windows 8 on them.
Since the industry is moving to these handheld devices the desktops
and laptops are slowly being phased out in favor of smaller more
mobile devices. As many of these devices are already accessible I look
for PC use, even in the blind community, to eventually decrease in
favor of these cheaper handheld devices. Look how many gamers here
already use iPhones and iPads.

Then, there is changes in security schemas that conflict with or cause
troubles for older games. When Microsoft introduced UAC none of the
audio game developers were prepared for it, and in deed most of them
just say "turn it off" rather than write UAC compliant code. While I
understand why they do it they are really ignoring a bigger problem in
that they are asking users to bypass security to run outdated
software.

The problem here is that Visual Basic 6 was developed in 1998 for an
OS now 14 years old. It was never designed for handheld devices,
64-bit processors, or new security features like UAC.  Anything
written in that language like the BSC Games is really living on
borrowed time. As long as someone has a compliant computer or has a
working virtual machine its fine. However, the way the industry as a
whole is changing its going to become more and more problematic as
time goes on.

Cheers!