What a fascinating can of worms Justin's decision has opened for us.
Like many of you, I personally dislike when companies whose software
has run its commercial cycle remove it from the world rather than make
it freely available. It does leave a bad taste in the mouth. However,
I too have experienced how quick Justin was at replacing lost keys.
Same with GMA Games who also use keys tighed to the computer the game
is installed on. The only point at which hardware generated keys
really become a major issue is when situations like what's happening
now occur and developers no longer make replacements available. I
can't help but resent that. I don't have $75 to spare. Nor should I
need to spend that to keep playing Pipe2 and Troopanum2, the two games
that most appealed to me and that I legally purchased. I'm not about
to rule out buying games which use hardware keys to secure them.
However, this incident will definitely come to mind and make me think
twice much as what happened when James North pulled the plug gives me
pause regarding pre-ordering a game which has yet to be finished.

While it's perfectly fare to keep in mind what's happened here if
Justin ever decided to develop future games, it isn't fare to
dishonour his wishes and spread keys and such around. That's crossing
an important line of trust. We don't know what conditions are attached
to the licenses of components used in his games. For instance, there
may be conditions related to the sounds or voice acting he used which
prohibit him from giving away the games. It could be any number of
things. It's unreasonable to expect developers to support their games
forever. However, I also very much wish they didn't have this idea
that they could basically cut off one's ownership of a fairly
purchased game.

On 4/23/13, ryan <rperd...@triad.rr.com> wrote:
> Know one ever has to make there games free.
> It's there choice and who knows, they may resurrect them or parts of
> them some day.
> I agree with Charles
> On 4/23/2013 1:51 AM, Charles Rivard wrote:
>> Good quality games for free?  I really doubt it, nor would I demand it
>> or expect it.
>>
>> ---
>> Shepherds are the best beasts, but Labs are a close second.
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "michael barnes" <c...@samobile.net>

Michael Feir
Volunteer at The Dam
http://www.thedam.org
2011--
Twitter: mfeir
Skype: michael-feir
Author of Personal Power:
How Accessible Computers Can Enhance Personal Life For Blind People
2006-2008
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.com/2009/01/personal-power.html

A Life of Word and Sound
2003-2007
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.com/2009/01/life-of-word-and-sound.html

Creator and former editor of Audyssey Magazine 1996-2004
Check out my blog at:
http://www.michaelfeir.blogspot.com