Hi all,

One other point to be addressed here, too…

This scenario is not just about the cost of upgrading, or the backwards
compatibility. Even when these issues are not factors, for whatever reason,
visually impaired users often do not upgrade.

For example, where regards browsers, I can see in our website stats that many
users on a variety of Windows operating systems, are using long out-of-date web
browsers. These, in general, cost nothing to upgrade, provide much better
security when upgrading, do not tend to have backwards compatibility issues,
and rarely have drastic interface changes, if ever.

And yet, I can see Windows XP, Vista,  and 7 users using versions of Firefox
and IE that are years out of date. Not even counting the Windows 98 users on IE
3 who have visited the site in recent days.

I do not doubt that in some cases the points being raised about cost and
backwards compatibility are indeed deterrents to upgrading. I also do not doubt
that many visually impaired users simply don't upgrade because they refuse to
adapt to a changing world. It isn't all one or the other, by any means, but I
think there is a lot more of the latter than many would like to admit.