Hi Josh,
As you probably noticed about STFC 1.0 is that at least two ships will
remain in there sector of space at any given time. Those ships can not
be drawn away from there asigned patrol routes unless you physically
enter there starsystems with the intent of destroying them.
In that case they will intercept you and try and whipe out whatever you
sent there way. I say try as I typically send enough force to overwelm
the home defences, and whipe out the ships first, and then pick off the
bases at will.