Hi Jim,

As I said I'm not sure weather it is intentional or some other reason,
but the point you made about it being basically impossible to cover
every way to type a certain command is one reason I have been strongly
thinking of using a menu in any text adventures I write. There are so
many ways to phrase the same command at times that it can be confusing
how to phrase it for the interpreter. With a menu you simply scroll to
or select the most likely command and you are on your way. Plus if the
menu commands are bound to certain hot keys like t for take, u for
use, x for examine, etc it is obviously quicker than sitting there
typing it out word for word. While most Inform interpreters support
shortcuts for commands like examine, north, south, east west, drop,
etc you still have to type out what it is you want to do with that
command like "d item" or "x item" which still is a lot of typing after
a while.

Perhaps the best reason for a menu is it limits you to the choices
that are valid, and you don't spend a lot of unnecessary time spinning
your wheels so to speak. What I mean by that is if you are new to a
text adventure you have no clue what is and is not important. So you
may spend lots of time examining everything such as the walls, floor,
shelves, tables, etc only to get a response like "you don't see
anything interesting here" which is a waste of time, but necessary
because there is nothing to indicate what is and is not important to
the game. If you have an examine menu it would most likely only
display the items in the room that had any use thus saving time
examining unnecessary things.