well it depends what you want I got my toshiba c850 for about 1000.
Its going to be hard to get xp units however, ebay may help, also x leased systems some are sold in computer shops are systems with expired leases in usually from businesses.
These systems are all reformatted and may be refurbished.
However expect the first come first served approach if you go there.
and don't expect the best quality that doesn't mean that you will get a high speced core2. just if you see it, get it because stock may be limited depending on the type letf. If you have winxp or a nold windows software, then you may be able to get a recycled system.
Or you can build one or something.
you are looking for a system with no more than 4gb ram, hard drive size does not matter but make sure you have at least 500gb else you may have issue loading everything.
if you have windows then whatever it works.
you could also use an external drive though on vmware externals run really slowly via the vm and I have not decided what to do. I think I may end up setting a share folder for all my vms that will have everything I need in it. I still have a high speed core2 laptop and have an old slightly smoking desktop which once retired will suit me ok.
I also have a barely used singlecore but not sure really.
My plan eventually is to have some sort of server I can make emulate sertain environments and cpu types. have vms for sertain users, xp, 7 8 linux maybe dos though probably don't need it.
now if only I can run tads and hugo via sapi that would rock.
my inform 6 and 7 games will run without any issue.