Hi Charles,
Maturity would have to definately come in to play when allowing our kids
to read these books etc. At age 11 I certainly would have understood
book 4 and later, but they tend to be moving for older readers. That is
a shame as many younger children will not understand why they could read
book 1 and 2, but the last books they wouldn't be allowed to read do to
the more graphic and adult content they contain.
However, you and I both know they will still continue producing the
movies, action figures, books, comics, and whatever else for the little
kids even though some of the book material isn't reallyage apropriate.