Hi Paul:

Yes and no. If the game in question does not support a joystick or a
game pad then ¿you can't just go buy a Microsoft XBox controller and
expect it to work with the game out of the box. You would have to
download a third-party tool called Joy2key which allows you to map
various keyboard commands to joysticks, game pads, and so forth.
So it is possible to play games even without joystick support with a
joystick or a game pad if you use something like Joy2key, but you are
also limited in some ways such as lack of force feedback support or
not being able to map all actions to the controller. However,
basically if you wanted to do it you could use a Microsofgt controller
with any audio game. Obviously, games that have joystick and game pad
support should work with it out of the box without Joy2key etc.

Cheers!