Hi Davy,

Well, the problem with XAudio2 is that a number of developers have
reported it is buggy. Philip was working on a version of BGT that uses
XAudio2, and found out it caused some instabilities in BGT and removed
XAudio2 support for the time  being. So that is why BGT does not
presently support XAudio2.

However, I agree for a multi-platform game there is no better option
than OpenAL. You can use Joal for Java or write your own custom
wrapper for the library for a decent cross-platform audio library that
works on Mac, Linux, and Windows. Truth be told I am looking at using
OpenAL as a replacement for DirectSound on Windows anyway just because
the 3d audio is broken big time on DirectSound in Windows 7, Windows
8, and Windows 8.1. Clearly I need something else other than
DirectSound, and XAudio2 is rather up in the air at this point.

As far as license agreement stopping someone from reverse engineering
code I just can not go with that option. To me that is like someone
intentionally leaving their front door unlocked and than hanging a
sign outside saying "do not enter." A person who respects you as a
developer, has some decency, obviously won't reverse your code or
pirate your software. However, sad to say a lot of people will not and
it never hurts to add a few extra layers of security to keep the
amateur wannabe crackers out of your code.

At the same time I am no fan boy of a lot of the security methods used
out there to secure and license software. As you say anything can be
cracked, stolen, etc by the right person so adding an insane amount of
security won't work. What I feel is that there has to be a fair
balance between reasonable security to keep amateur wannabe crackers
out while not being intrusive to legitimate customers.

As you yourself said you should stop trying to create a false sense of
security as nothing you try or do is perfect. The only thing you or I
can do as developers is make a game good enough that people will want
to buy it to own it, offer content only available to legitimate
customers, and keep the cost reasonable so you make a decent income
from it but not so high that people will want to turn to pirating to
get it.

Cheers!