If it can be done, although it is done differently, that's fine.
---
Be positive! When it comes to being defeated, if you think you're finished, you! really! are! finished! ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 12:28 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] mac versus windows sales plus iOS question

Hi Charles:

You can certainly play several text adventure games on Windows 8.1. If
you have Winfrotz you can play pretty much every game written in
Inform and ZCode that was ever written with your screen reader or Sapi
speech output. If you have Agility for Windows you can play old text
adventures written in AGT, and Tads32 will allow you to play various
games written in Tads. So when it comes to text adventures you can
pretty much play everything available for XP accept for those Dos
games compiled for 16-bit systems such as Eamon Deluxe.

As for Jim Kitchen's games I have gotten them to work on Windows 8.1
as well. I admit it takes a bit of fiddling to get them to work, but
it can certainly be done. What I do is install the Winkit file to get
the Visual Basic 6 runtime libraries installed, and then I install his
games to a directory like c:\Users\Thomas\Kitchensinc where they will
work without having issues with User Account Control. As long as you
know how to set up the Kitchen's Inc. games you won't have a problem
with them.

I haven't tried Ten Pin Alley, but I have tried Lone Wolf 3.5 on
Windows 8.1 and it works alright. Again, it just basically requires
you install the proper libraries and make sure it is in a local
directory rather than in c:\Program Files or c:\Program Files (x86).

As to the issue of upgrading I have repeatedly gave reasons why I
think people should upgrade. I'm not going to repeat it here as I'd
just be wasting both my time and energy rewriting what I have said.
All I will say in response is since those games can still be played
your excuse not to upgrade is not valid based on compatibility alone.

I would not upgrade to get better voices than those I already have, which
are good enough. Nobody in their right mind would use Microsoft Sam unless

they absolutely had to, so that's a very poor comparison. I would not use
Narrator unless I had to, either, but I would not upgrade from a platform
with which I can access all of my previously purchased software to one with

which I cannot, just for a better Narrator.

Can I play text adventure games using Windows 8.1? How about Lone Wolf and

Tenpin Alley? Jim Kitchen's games? If these cannot be played, why upgrade?

I cannot see spending more money to get less access.

---