Hi.
You'd have to evaluate the usefulness of it over other clients on your own, since it's down to individual preference. If you use MTScripts and any of the pre-included xml files, be that the existing soundpacks or you start with default.xml and set it up to connect to a new mud you'll get speech through NVDA, JAWS, Window-Eyes and dolphin hal supernova and system access. NVDA doesn't work with the recent sessions list unless you use screen review. Same for the Funky Monkey tree, can only access that with screen review in NVDA. Screen review is also what you use to review text on the scrollback, but that's no different than any of the other screen readers. NVDA is nice for allowing your screen review cursor to be on the scroll back to review text after it's already arrived on screen and providing separate commands to work with the input box where you type your commands. So without any commands to cycle between screen review and focus you have commands like caps lock l to read the focus, and caps lock up and down arrow to go up and down the scroll back.

The reason MT just won't die is that it provides a clean slate that anyone can tweak a little and make it do pretty much anything. Not that other clients don't, it's just different a bit in it's open approach, and for my own part, I started using it when it wasn't quite as extinct as it is now, and I know best how to make it sing so that's what I'm still diddly daddling with. It does run on windows 8.1 as long as the instructions on my website and in the MTScripts installer are followed closely. You need visual c runtime 2005, type that into google and it'll probably be the first result, get 32 bit regardless of actual system arcitecture, mt is 32 bit. If you have any GMA games installed you probably already have this.

MTScripts and Monkey Term can both be downloaded from http://valiant8086.com/games/muds/monkeyterm/mtscripts if you click on the install link at the top. It might be a good idea to read over all that I've written on both pages to get an idea of how all this stuff actually works.