Well, it should not be that complicated... especially if your locale
is set to Japanese. Just remember that even with the protalker english
addon installed, that's the synthesizer that has to be active. Espeak
by itself won't recognize the language. I'm not quite sure why you're
having that problem.. unless you haven't downloaded the language pack
for Japanese.