Hi Lindsay.

to be honest I've not played many muds, since I tend to find if I am playing a game with descriptive text the real time elements get in the way of my appreciation of the game's atmosphere. After all, if you walk into the Dragon's laire and before you have time to read the description your typing commands like a demon and having your mud client saying "the dragon attacks you for x damage" you don't really get time to be ored.

In fairness Dentin did stick in a really nice command the preview corpse command which gives you enemy descriptions after you have defeated them so that you can appreciate what things are like, but still generally speaking I find myself less attracted to muds than to other forms of interactive textual games such as gamebooks or browser rpgs.

I also confess I'm a rather antisocial player in and am more interested in exploring and interacting with the game than with other players, for all I don't mind saying a quick hello. Indeed the Alteraeon blog had a very nice article a while ago which listed different types of game players, and the explorer type definitely fit me :D. This also means any mud with unrestricted pvp is a complete, absolute and very much major turn off for me, since frankly i don't care about fighting other players and don't want my game ruined by them fighting me.

I'm also not personally interested in online rp with other players, (I prefer my rp live with a real human gm and a few friends), although i do't necessary mind that so long as there is plenty of solo stuff to do in the game as well. Of the mud's I've playedAlter has been my favourite and the one I've spent most time on. I tried out project bob but found it so stat heavy as to be rather confusing to play and rather thin on actual atmosphere, I also tried medevia, but the ascii maps sort of got on my nerves a bit which is a shame since I rather fancied the random content (though I have heard bad things about that game).

materiamagica I have spent a reasonable amount of time withhowever at that point I got irritated with the quest system in the game since it was possible to level up and miss a lot of quests, and even to complete the newby area with things half done. Mm has however had some verye extensive changes recently to alleviate some of these issues, as well as to make accessible many aspects of the game. Actually their access fixes are very nice indeed, although I've not yet got around to giving them as much of a try as I really should.

I'd love to try miriani, or another space mud with different planets, spaceships and exploration, indeed I've read several parts of the Miriani docks and online helpto get a handle on the game, however every space mud I've seen has either been so pvp it's ridiculous like Miriani, or run by Rp inforcement Nazis.

I really in fairness ought to try more muds, and to spend some more time with games like Materiamagica, since I know there is more out there, it just seems whenever I am wanting to play a text game muds never really occur to me first, I'm more inclined to go and play a gamebook or a browser game where I can read the text and relax as I play.

This might just be me or a matter of experience though.

Beware the grue!