Hi,

Yeah, there is usually some basic math involved in any program,
especially games, just because that is the way things are. However, it
doesn't mean all the math has to be difficult or complex. Usually a
novice programmer can get by on basic adding, subtracting,
multiplying, dividing if the project isn't a really complex one to
begin with.

For example, let's take a simple game like Blackjack. All a person has
to do is randomly draw a few cards from the deck, and once done add up
the face values of the cards to see if they are over 21 or not. If the
player wins the hand the developer can keep track of his or her score
by adding the face value of the cards in hand to his or her over all
score. If playing for virtual money there may be adding and
subtracting of bets. However, that is not especially difficult to do.

In a text adventure there may be a little math involved in calculating
combat stats. Both the player and the enemy throw a combat dice, and
the lowest dice roll is subtracted from the highest dice roll to
calculate how much damage was done to the opponent. That value in turn
is subtracted from the character's hit points. Fairly easy stuff to do
with some basic adding and subtracting, but has to be done to add any
combat to the game.