Hi Jeremy.

I absolutely agree the exploration elements of entombed did get neglected. i was in the early alpha and beta testing for the game, and I can say a lot of things with the environment were planned, but didn't materialize. These included traps, resting, environments to search for items, and even environments that affected the battles in some way. Unfortunately sinse entombed didn't really work to an over all plan things got added somewhat haphazardly to the design, which is one reason the entombed dungeon creator, which would've also allowed such features never materialized. The developer, Jason Alan has stated that he'd like to fix such things in Entombed Ii in the future, though whether that will happen given Jason has several kids and two jobs last we heard I'm not sure.

Either way, while I fully agree the environment wasn't as developed as it was originally intended to be, Entombed's Combat mechanics and the random choice of different options are something I still think is a lovely idea for game design, sinse a you said the player is always needing to work out different tactics and combinations for different situations, which is what I'd recommend taking from entombed if considdering creating other games.

There are far too many rpgs where the actual process of combat is extremely dull, just hitting one attack button. Even when (as many do), there is a complex equipping system of balancing items and skills, this to me isn't particularly interesting if all those items and skills do is give you no chance to interact with your enemy.

After all in reality, while it will! make a difference whether you went in to battle in full plate armor with a two handed greatsword, or in leather armor with a rapier, your skills at using either and responding to the attacks, parries and movement of your enemy will make a major difference no matter what you wear.

All the best,