To: "gamers" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 11:59 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] brief description of Risk

Since a number of people haven't encountered Risk or a clone of it, I
thought I'd describe it briefly.  Also, I'd like to thank everyone
who's sent me suggestions both on and off the list.  It's much
appreciated.

Risk is a game for 2-6 players played on a board with 42 countries.
These countries are grouped into continents.  (The world map is that
of our Earth circa 1815, as the original game was supposed to model
roughly Napoleonic era warfare).  Each country is bordered by certain
others, and countries across water from each other are joined by
bridges over which pieces can move.  All the pieces in the game are
generic.  There is an army which is a one hit figure.  To attack a
player moves 1 or more armies to an adjacent territory.  One army must
always be left in a territory as a marker of possession and as a
garrison force.  If a territory is conquered, then the player collects
a card.  The cards mirror the 42 countries, as well as two wild cards.
Each card picutres a infantryman, a cavalry man, or a cannon.  If you
can make three of a kind of any of these, or one of each, then you can
trade in the cards for extra armies at the beginning of your turn.

At the beginning of the game you are given a certain number of armies
based on the number of players playing, and countries are assigned
randomly by deal of the cards.  You place all your armies before play.
At the beginning of your turn you gain armies from three sources:
you gain 1 army for every three territories you possess with a minimum
of 3 armies no matter what.
If you control an entire continent you gain extra armies.  larger or
more difficult to  defend continents give more armies.
If you can trade in a three of a kind of cards you can gain extra armies.

Combat is very simple.  There are five dice with the game, 3 red, and
2 white.  The defender has the white dice but may only roll 2 dice as
long as he or she has more than 1 army in their territory to defend.
The attacker can roll up to three dice, but the attacker can only roll
dice equal to or less than his attacking force.  I.e. if an attacker
uses 5 armies he can roll 3 dice, but once that army drops to 2
armies, he can no longer roll 3 and must use 2 or 1 dice.  The
defender wins all ties.  Otherwise who ever rolls highest wins.  The
top die of each player is compared then the next highest.  If the
defender rolls a 6 and 4 and the attacker rolls a 5 and a 4, each
player loses one army.  Battle is a matter of attrition where you wait
for one side to either lose all their armies, or end the attack.

There are more small rules about moving and consolidating a position,
however, this gets across a basic idea of the game.  If anyone has
questions they may ask either on or off list.  My main interest in it
is that I have played this game for a long time, and at one point was
involved in a large group of players that met once a week to play.  It
is a very simple game that can be extremely complex.

Thanks and sorry for extra spam for those who have no interest in the game.

Jeremy

--
In the fight between you and the world--back the world! Frank Zapa